Tuesday, March 6, 2012

sudoku quilt


The other night I had a few hours to myself so I finished up this pretty in pink quilt top. It's actually a 'sudoku quilt,' which I'll explain in a minute. At Christmas I got a sudoku quilt kit from my mom. It was two charm packs that had been doctored up to have 9 charm squares of 9 fabrics each, for a total of 81. The fabric in the kit was 'Oasis' by 3 sisters. It's so dreamy and soft, I love it! The kit also comes with a sudoku puzzle to fill it out. After solving the puzzle you are to separate the fabrics into nine piles and assign each print a number from 1-9. Following that you lay out your squares using the puzzle as a guide. In the end you are left with 9 patches of 9 blocks with no repeats in the 9x9 block or in the horizontal or vertical line. Make sense?

Here are my blocks laid our prior to being sewn with the sashing in between:


And just for good measure, here is a picture of the finished puzzle that I used as a pattern for my prints:


If I have completely botched up my explanation, feel free to leave me a comment and I will do my best to try and explain myself better! And in case you were wondering, the quilt minus the  binding which I will get to eventually, is 56.5x56.5

4 comments:

  1. What fun! I love sudoku puzzles and getting to make a quilt at the end would be a bonus! Thanks for sharing, I've never seen this idea before. PS I LOVE the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is so lovely. The colors make me smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! that's such a cool idea for quilt inspiration..and I love the colors you used! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooooooooo pretty!!! I LOVE the colors! :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for leaving me a little note! i appreciate each and every comment :)